2020 Roux for a Reason (RFAR) Gumbo Cook-Off
Rules & Guidelines
• Wristbands, entrance tickets and t-shirts will be available at pre-event team safety meetings, which will be held every 30mins beginning at 6:00am-8:00am on Saturday March 23, 2019.
• We ask that teams provide a tent for the event. 2 cooking teams will be placed per each 20’x20’ tent. Tents smaller than 20’ x 20’ will contain a single team. For teams that do not have tents we will do our best to accommodate as we have access to a select number of donated tents we received from event sponsors (Extra tents will be distributed on a first-come first-serve basis on March 23, 2019).
• Everyone in attendance needs to wear a wristband.
• If assistance is needed, please see one of the RFAR members wearing RFAR event STAFF shirts.
• There will be ORANGE signs designating “seafood” gumbos.
• Cooking team parking will be at a first-come first-serve basis as there is limited parking around this downtown event.
• All team Captains or designated person from your cooking team must participate in a Safety Session that will be provided by a RFAR representative PRIOR TO COOKING.
• Safety meeting will be held at the entertainment stage every 30mins starting at 6:00AM-8:00AM. Each team must attend and sign off that they have participated before they are allowed to start cooking.
• Tent set up will be permitted Friday 3/22 from 5:00PM—9:00PM at the event location.
• Tents must be weighed down, must NOT have sides. Any banners/decorations must be secured.
• Teams MUST provide their own 6’ – 10’ serving table.
• One fire extinguisher per tent. We encourage teams to provide their own fire extinguishers. If you need a fire extinguisher, please contact us so we will have one for your tent.
• Cooking team arrival and setup will take place from 6:00AM– 8:00AM on Saturday 3/23.
• No utility trailers are to be left on site.
• Each team will be given their location & tent number the morning of the event.
• Each team must clean up their area before leaving.
• ALL LIQUID WASTE MUST BE TAKEN WITH YOU. NO LIQUID WASTE CAN BE DISPOSED OF ON THE PREMISES.
• ANY removal of equipment/tents, that involves vehicles, WILL NOT be allowed until the public has exited the event/barricaded area. THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
• Tents must be taken down by Sunday, 3/24– BEFORE 11:00AM! Parking lot must be cleared by 11:00AM.
• Due to the size of the crowd expected, we are suggesting a 5 gallon minimum.
• All cooking must be done the day of the event with the exception that chicken and roux may be pre-cooked or store bought.
• Serving to the public will begin between 12:00pm – 12:30PM.
• No electrical outlets or running water are available. Cooking must be done using a burner, Cajun cooker, etc.
• All propane bottles must be equipped with a regulator to hose.
• Teams must provide ALL utensils for cooking, preparing, and serving gumbo.
• A RFAR member will bring each team numbered cups and lids for judges’ samples.
• Judges samples will be turned at 12:00pm.
• No rice in judges samples.
• 1st, 2nd & 3rd place for Chicken, 1st, 2nd & 3rd place for Seafood & People’s Choice will be awarded.
• All attendees will have the opportunity to vote for the “People’s Choice” award. We will be voting by ticket.
• Winners will be announced around 4:00 PM.
• NOTE: Chairs will not be provided to team stations. Please bring chairs for your team if necessary!
• Rice will be provided to each team from Cannatas Market. We will not furnish paper towels.
• No money or tickets should be handled by the cooking teams. All money should be directed to the volunteers at the front entrances/ticket sale booths.
• We will furnish cups and spoons to serve samples to customers. We suggest not filling sample cups all the way. 1/2 way would be fine.
• If more sample cups or spoons are needed, please find a RFAR team member wearing RFAR event STAFF shirts.
Schedule of Events
6:00—8:00 Cooking team set-up/Mandatory safety meetings will be held every 30 minutes
NO BURNERS ARE TO BE LIT UNTIL ATTENDING A SAFETY MEETING.
8:00 All cooking teams must be set up. No vehicles allowed within barricaded area.
11:00—11:30 All cooking teams will receive numbered cups, lids for judges’ samples.
12:00 All cooking teams to have Judges Samples turned in.
12:00—12:30 Open to public.
1:00—4:00 Entertainment performs.
4:00 Gumbo cook-off & raffle winners announced.
After 4:30 Tear down can begin, after crowd disperses.